Hi, I’m Larry McClanahan, Principal of SecondHalf Planning & Investment.
I haven't always been into financial planning...initially I was headed toward the ministry. But only after earning my ministry degree did I discover an aptitude for business and management. So that led to some business courses and then completing a non-traditional MBA program.
I’ve been an Accountant, City Manager, and Vice President & CFO of a 5-school education institution. And while I was good at financial and organizational management, it just wasn't as satisfying as helping people pull together the various pieces and get clarity on their own financial picture.
So in 1999, I shifted into personal financial planning. I love how real financial planning blends the qualitative human element (hopes and dreams) with the quantitative financial side (numbers and strategies).
Well, wouldn’t you know it, 1999 turned out to be perfect timing for a fiery initiation in the dot-com crash, followed a few years later by the Great Financial Crisis. But steering through those two extreme down markets gave me a healthy appreciation for managing risk, which I put to good use in client portfolios today.
With SecondHalf, my focus is helping you successfully navigate your retirement transition and enjoy a purposeful and fulfilling life of financial independence. Too many people fail to plan at all. Then they make unsalvageable retirement and investment decisions that prevent them from living their best life possible. Far better to "prepare so you don't have to repair."
I’m married to my college sweetheart, Julie, and we have a son, daughter, and two granddaughters. Classical guitar and "rocking the house" on bass have been favorite diversions over the years. These days, outside of my work you might find me exploring the intersection of science and faith.
Credentials and Professional
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®), US, 2007-present
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®), Canada, 2000-2007
- Enrolled Agent (EA), IRS, 2016-present
- Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC), The American College, 2014-present
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU), The American College, 2012-present
- Chartered Advisor for Senior Living (CASL), The American College, 2006-present
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), California Pacific University*, 1989
- Bachelor of Religious Education (BRE), Prairie College, 1984
- Answered over 1,100 financial questions from general public on Investopedia, NerdWallet, WalletHub, and Brightscope
- Quoted in national media such as WSJ's MarketWatch, USA Today, Nasdaq, Investment News, and LifeHealth Pro
* Disclosure pursuant to ORS 348.609: While California Pacific University was approved by the state of California to grant academic degrees when the MBA was earned, it did not have accreditation recognized by the United States Department of Education and has not been approved by the Oregon Office of Degree Authorization.